Monday 3 June 2013

Arriving in Vladivostok

After three flights and long delays at airports, I finally arrived at Vladivostok airport on time at 3:15PM yesterday. I took the train from the terminal to the city where I was met by Svetlana from Links Ltd. Svetlana told me that the car had arrived and was fine. FESCO had already closed so we would collect the car and do the customs clearance, insurance etc today.

I walked the the hotel Zhemchzhina and was very glad to find that the receptionist spoke very good English. The room is on the top floor. Its small but clean and comfortable.  I took a walk around the city centre in a cold northerly wind. I'm trying to remember to walk on the right side of the pavement hoping it will help me remember to drive on that side. I must admit I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all at the moment. If I can get out of the city unscathed I'm sure it will be alright. Driving here looks to be very fast. Nearly all the cars are  right hand drive fairly new Japanese or Korean.

I met Svetlana around 9AM in the hotel lobby. She had arranged for the lady selling the insurance to be there so we sorted that all out. Then we set off to get the bill of lading from FESCO but went to the wrong office (the have several). The Yuri met us and took me to another office and got what we needed. From there it was to customs to lodge the paperwork. It would take a coup,e of hours so we had lunch and the Yuri helped me get a sim card for my tablet computer. Then he helped me check into a hostel where three Brits and a Kiwi who were all doing similar trips (and who all used Link Ltd to do their arrangements) were staying.

I waited there until around 5PM when I met Svetlana again and we had a coffee while we waited to meet Yuri and then go and collect the Imp.

No comments:

Post a Comment