Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 3 - Londoko to Shimanovsk

Day 3 didn't start the best as I woke earlier than I would like. It was misty and damp. I packed up the tent and set off - in the wrong direction. I had forgotten that I'd turned off the highway to get to the village the night before.

The road was quite variable with long stretches of beautiful smooth new tarmac. There was also at least one really long stretch of road waiting to be sealed. This was not rough like the first day but had wave like holes that made the car bounce badly. I must have driven 20km in second gear but it felt like 50. After that though the road improved a lot and I got some miles done.

During the longest section of roadworks I was hearing a clonking doing coming from the back which concerned me a bit.  Further down the road I drove the Imp up onto one of the ramps that they have at many of the parking bays. It was bit scary on my own. I couldn't find anything wrong, in fact it mostly looked good except for the oil leaks.

At the start of the day I was passing through low rolling hills covered in forest. In the middle of the day it was very flat land almost devoid of trees much of it cropped. At the end of the day it was hills and forest again.

I stopped at a roadside motel near Shimanovsk. It was about $20 for a single room and another $10 for a mean and a beer. I was celebrating my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment