Thursday 20 June 2013

Day 16 - East of Kazan to near Novocheboksarsk

Today was a bit odd because in order to keep the car cool I had driven through much of the night. So I stopped at a motel to sleep around 9AM. I slept well at first but as the day got warmer I found it impossible to drift off. I rested and waited for a Sky per call home. In had messed up the timing on the last two days so I was very keen to talk. However, in the end in couldn't hear them so I telephoned instead.

There has been a strong north easterly wind blowing all day. This would have kept it cool enough to drive today without driving at night.

One weird thing that happened last night was that my odometer stopped working. The weird thing is that my speedo now works much better. It used to wave around indicating anything between 10 and 80 miles/h. Now it sits quite steadily, not on the correct number but you can't have everything.

After crossing the Volga the road climbs up out of the valley. The traffic was heavy but soon came to a near standstill where we had to merge and cross to the other side of the road to pass roadworks. On long stretches of road they have removed the top layer with a sort of grinding machine. This leaves a surface with many grooves. Driving the Imp along then makes it wobble around in a most disconcerting way.

The first road sign in both English and Russian was one to Perm yesterday. Now most of the signs have both languages. Initially I found it a bit confusing. I translated the Russian name and then tried to translate the English name, assuming it was another Russian town. Now the main signs on the highway are to Moscow. I've been looking forward to this for quite a while.

The car has been running well. I don't know why i was panicking about overheating. I'he been praying for rain and here it is so hopefully it will be cool all the way to Helsinki. I change plug number 3 every time I get fuel and fill up with oils every time I stop. Everything else seems stable.

1 comment:

  1. There are some Imp Club members in Finland that may be able to help you out

    ReplyDelete