Thursday 13 June 2013

Day 9 - Zima to NizLoyma

Things were going fairly well this morning. After quite a long run I filled up with petrol and continued on my way. Several miles down the road I stopped to photograph my odometer as it clicked over to 70,000 miles. About a mile after that the car started missing and jerking when under any load. So I thought the repair to the distributor cap didn't last very long. But on inspection it wasn't that. So I pushed on for a bit and when it reoccurred I swapped to my spare distributor. This made no difference which was kind of comforting as the 123Tune distributor was fairly expensive. I suspect that it we the fuel. I didn't grab the fuel hose an attendant did. Who knows what he grabbed. If not that then it might be a coil which should be easy to test.

Anyway, that turned out to be least of my problems. After lunch, a truck threw a rock into my windscreen and smashed it. It took most of an hour to get "all" of the glass out (you never get it all out). I always new this was a possibility and figured I'd just buy some acrylic or polycarbonate  to replace it. But that looks to be much easier said than done. Meanwhile, the car is neither watertight or secure.

I haven't driven without a windscreen since Ros and I broke on on a navigation rally many years ago. I found it easy enough to keep the speed up but it very noisy and that makes it hard to work out what the engine is doing. I drove with the passenger window about 2/3rds down and the driver side window 2/3rds up. What insect blew in blew straight back out again. Well not all because I've still got bugs on the window but this time its the rear window on the inside. I was surprised how much of the air was still going over the car. There were lots of floating seeds like dandelions and these would lift over the roof about halfway down the bonnet.

Tomorrow I think I will head straight to Krasnoyarsk and try to find some plastic. It seems that most shops don't open until after 9:00. I should be 100km closer by then.

Its got to get better.
I've stopped in a town that I think is called NizLoyma its about 320km to Krasnoyarsk. I'm in a motel costing about $17 and while its a small room, there was a shower with plenty of hot water. The first hot shower since Shimanovsk. The car is locked in a compound at the back. I've tried to cover the hole with my tent fly in case it rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment